If you’re a Type 2 diabetic, there are a few main things you can do to improve your glucose levels: eat fewer sweet foods, possibly go on a low carbohydrate diet (as seen in the Newcastle study), and take more exercise. However, as well as improving your glucose levels it is a good idea to care more for the bits of your body that are most at risk.
At Joe’s Diabetes, we’ve curated the products and services to suit you:
Type 2 - Glucose control
Tabtime Super 8
The Diet Plate
Keeping in control
Glucose meter – need to pick
Glucose sensors – need to pick
Information & Advice
Carbs & Cals - Book and app
So you want to learn how to carb count, and look at the back of packet to see nutritional breakdown per 100g. But what does that look like in real life, and how many carbs are there in my plate of pasta? This fantastic book (also available as app) lets you see just that! A range of meals and portion sizes are photographed with their nutritional values noted down by them. So you can say pretty accurately what you’re eating and take the right amount insulin to cover the carb load.
Carbs and Cals is nothing short of a diabetic institution and, with the right application, can really help you get a handle on your glucose levels.
****£10.49 (Amazon price)****+ P&P
Type 2 – Body care
Compeed Underfoot Blister Plasters
Compeed Bunion Plasters
Compeed Corn Medium Plasters
Compeed Cracked Heel Cream
Compeed Heel Crack Plasters
Compeed Callus Plasters
Weight management/ exercise
FitBit Aria Scales
Omron M2 Classic Blood Pressure Monitor
The fully automatic Omron M2 Classic Blood Pressure Monitor is well designed digital upper arm blood pressure monitor offers all functions that are necessary for comfortable, quick and accurate blood pressure monitoring.
Fully automatic upper arm blood pressure monitor
Irregular Heartbeat detection
Memory capacity for 21 readings with date and time stamp
Advanced averaging mode
Easy-to-wrap medium cuff (Upper arm circumference 22-32 cm)
Clinically validated (International Protocol)
Uses 4 x AAA alkaline batteries.
Clinically validated by the BHS (British Hypertension Society)
**** Pages complete and still to do/ potential pages to add ****
- Home Page
- About Me
- Diabetes Signs & Symptoms
- Joe’s Rough Guide
- Joe’s Small-in-one
- Joe's Speaking page - video footage coming 12/12/14
- Press Page
- Survey page
- Shipping and Returns policy
Type Zero – need to draft Type Two for Type Zeros
Type 1 – need to pick glucose meter/ sensors to sell, contact potential product owners, and work out bundle deals on book, bag, other products
Type 2 – need to pick glucose meter/ sensors to sell, contact potential product owners, draft product descriptions, and work out bundle deals
Diabetes Shop – need to draft text, agree product range and place products in appropriate categories.
Still to do/ potential
- Links – search out and in-put new links
- Sitemap – add new pages
- New products/ coming soon page(s) – work out what’s coming next! Draft up and include pics? Could possibly be included on Survey/ News page.
- Starter Pack Page – don’t know whether to include this or not? Idea was originally to set up a project to study effects of diabetes products on control/ quality of living. Not sure if this is going ahead. Could actually be just a bundle of products we sell.
- News page (taking feeds from diabetic sites/ new sites/ but also about what we're up to) include Twitter feed – need to draft permanent text for this and find/ set up RSS links and Twitter/ facebook link.
- Project page (with results of projects/ news of how things are going/ opportunities of getting involved) – Need to draft text, and include past projects (SWEET, Getting Sorted, Symbiosis, YLAG, and LYNC. Mention long term condition/ mental health project?) LYNC video coming 12/12/14
- Product review pages? – need to scour the internet for diabetes products and test them. Secondary task.
- Blog/ contributor's page? - need to find things to talk about/ find someone who wants to talk about them.
- Education page – need to speak to Rosie re: her Type Two education programme, and her contact re: Type One education. Secondary task.
- Social Page – uncertain if this is necessary at the moment. Not sure how this could work ‘internationally’ but perhaps offer tools for arranging meetings? Secondary task.
- Psychology Page – need to speak to Dr Jen Nash re: Positive Diabetes and whether she’s up for it.
- Recipes page/ section – need to find more recipes, film cooking them and working out how it affects me.
- Membership page/ section – not certain what this could include at the moment. Perhaps not a goer…
- Low carb diary – will fit in with recipe/ blog sections. Secondary task.